Lewis G. Smith
Lewis G Smith, a native of Ohio, was a member of the J.T. Kincade party which
came to California in 1849. In 1849 and 1850, he engaged in mining; then in the
Fall of 1850, he, Mr. Kincade, and a man named Harned, built the Indian Valley
House on Secret ravine. In 1853, he engaged in the general merchandising
business at a section of Pine Grove (Loomis) called Smithville.
In c.1869-1870, Mr. Smith removed to Rocklin, then showing signs of becoming an
important railroad and granite center. For the next ten years he engaged in
merchandising at Rocklin and also served as postmaster and Wells Fargo agent
L. G. Smith was married twice and was the father of two daughters; Mrs. Ramsey
and Miss Belle Smith, born in Rocklin.
This pioneer merchant died on November 24, 1880, at the age of 54. His second
wife ( Emma R. Smith) survived him by twelve years, passing from this earth in
December of 1892, aged thirty seven.
From: Rocklin: Past, Present, Future by Leonard M. Davis. Published by the
Rocklin Friends of the Library, Rocklin Ca., 1981.