Prominent among the turn of the century quarry operators at Rocklin were Oscar
and Sam Kesti, both native sons of Finland, who arrived in Rocklin shortly
Oscar (1860-1934) purchased the "Kesti Quarry" from John Mantyla in 1901. It was
located along present-day Taylor Road where the Railroad spur line crossed that
thoroughfare. His was a small operation limited primarily to curbing, molding
and riprap. Mr. Kesti had five children by his wife Maria (1861-1937). They
included Richard J. (1883-1947); Alinna (1887-1947), the wife of Emanuel
Martilla; Ivar Kesti (1886-1943); and Aaron (1903-1955), a single man.
Brother Sam, who followed his brother to America, was born in 1877 and died in
1945. His wife was Elizabeth Hirvela (1877-1961), by whom he had four children:
Elizabeth, Mildred, Helen and Henry. Daughter Helen still lives in the old
family home on South Grove Street. Sam Kesti conducted quarry operations on
leased land along Secret Ravine and later on his own lands where the Rocklin
Mobile Home Court now stands. His was a small operation limited primarily to
riprap and rough stone.
The Kestis typified the numerous small- scale granite operators who worked
intermittently at quarrying during Rocklin's Golden Age.
From: Rocklin: Past, Present, Future by Leonard M. Davis. Published by the
Rocklin Friends of the Library, Rocklin Ca., 1981.