The Rocklin Historical Society

By Uno J. Hebuck

August 1971

Mr. Hebuck was born in Rocklin on September 25, 1897, the fifth child of Henry A. and Sofia (Haaga) Hebuck, who settled in Rocklin just prior to 1890. The other Hebuck children were:

Lewis Matt a stonecutter and headstone business and a band musician.

Sulo a stonecutter, band musician and baseball pitcher.

Henry R. a quarryman, band musician and baseball player.

Lempi (Mrs. Toivo Aro, remarried - Mrs. Antti Penttinen).

Harvey a Chief Clerk, Southern Pacific Co., San Francisco.

Elvira Mrs. Peter Zavattero, Oakland.

Ason Gust died 1903

Twin boys: Johnny and Tommy (both deceased).

This writer, Uno J. a Southern Pacific Depot Clerk 1917-1962; band and orchestra dance musician 1912-1969; baseball 1911-1968; Roseville City Councilman 1942-1946; member Roseville City Charter Committee 1954-55.


The town of Rocklin got its name when the Central Pacific Railroad was building their railroad through Rocklin in the early part of 1864 account of the granite quarries that were operating in Rocklin at that time and of the rocky terrain of the surrounding land. The two main quarries in operation in 1864 were the Demon-Brady and Hathaway quarry at the lower west end of Rocklin and the John Taylor quarry located on the hill, today known as the Ruhkala Brothers quarry. The east end portion of the Brady quarry pit has been filled by the highway for purposes of widening Taylor Road; the rest of the pit is used by a lumber mill Before the railroad reached Rocklin, the State Capitol building was under construction at Sacramento and a lot of Rocklin granite was used in this construction. As there were no railroad as yet, the stones for this construction were hauled by giant oxen teams to Sacramento over a route that followed Ruhkala Road, passing a hundred yards or so back of the present Sunset Plaza shopping center, then veering to the left, passing those old fig trees that one can see off of present I-80 Freeway, crossing the Secret Ravine, thence up a gentle grade, passing the lower Roseville reservoirs, then crossing Miner�s Ravine and over Rocky Ridge, crossing Douglas Blvd. and joining the old Sacramento-to-Auburn road known today as the Old Auburn Road. Today, one can trace the old wagon wheel marks at many locations on this route.

Some of the first families to located in what is Rocklin were: the Michael Bolton family, the Levi Hawes family, followed by the Bradys, Hathaways, Demons, Taylors. On March 22, 1859, a baby boy was born to the Levi Hawes family, named Levi Melcher Hawes; this baby was recorded as the first �white� baby to be born in Rocklin.

On account of the abundance of pine and oak trees in the Rocklin area, the Indians settled in Rocklin long before the �white� people and today there are many granite bounders that have dentures in them where the Indians would grind their pine nuts and acorns into a flour for making their bread. The last Indian family to be residing in Rocklin was around 1904. Their large wigwam home was located across the alley from the old Nassi home on High Street. As a small boy this writer saw this wigwam home several times. Then there was an Indian burial plot located just east of the present Aguilar Road about 200 yards south of Rocklin Road.

The first Finnish family to locate in Rocklin was the John Mantyla family, who came from Finland where he learned the granite trade. He conducted the Taylor quarry but his main source of granite came from his large pit located on the northwest bank of Secret Ravine about one-half mile south of the famous Copp�s quarry. Finding that the granite business was a good business, he was instrumental in writing to his friends in Finland of his good fortunes, hence many Finnish families left Finland for Rocklin to make their future homes. Naming a few ere: the Pernus, Wickmans, Hebucks, Hills, Alexsons, Halonens, Peter Johnson, John Kannasto, Matt Johnson, Matt Sandel, Hendrockson Brothers, Kesti Brothers, Wallen Brothers, Oscar Haavisto, John Pisila, Matt and Mike Ruhkala, Matt and Esa Palos and many others.

As GOLD was discovered in 1848 at Coloma, it started a big rush of easterners to California to try their luck in mining and making their �stake.� As the gold was found to be mostly in the rivers, small streams, etc., hence a lot of �creek� miners with their sluice boxes and pans were mining the small streams. The Secret Ravine, the Miner�s Ravine, and the Antelope Ravine had their share of these miners. Secret Ravine must have had many of them because in the national elections of 1856, there was a voting precinct named �Secret Ravine.� There was no place called Rocklin in 1856.

The Central Pacific Railroad reached Rocklin in 1864 and when the railroad was completed, the town of Rocklin, being at the foot o the climb over the Sierras, was selected to become an engine terminal for their railroad. The trains were made up at Sacramento and the small valley type locomotives would be used to bring the trains from Sacramento to Rocklin. At Rocklin, engine crews would change and the larger mountain type locomotives were used to take the trains to Blue Canyon. After the railroad was moved from Rocklin to Roseville, the engine helper terminal was moved to Colfax. Hardly a day went by that a switch engine from Rocklin was sent down to the halfway point between Rocklin and Roseville to assist the Sacramento to Rocklin train into Rocklin as the small locomotives could not make the grade. Wood was used first as fuel for the locomotives which created lot of employment tot he wood choppers. Then coal came nest; at Rocklin the railroad constructed wooden coal bunkers where carloads of coal were shunted up to the top, unloaded into bins and from the bins the coal was supplied to the locomotives. Today one may find a couple of the concrete piers of the bunker building on the ground between the westbound and the eastbound tracks about a few yards south of Midas Avenue. Oil followed the coal and the railroad constructed a large oil storage tank on a location that is today occupied by the shell Oil Co. distribution yard.

From Southern Pacific records the wages paid to depot employees VIZ:---in 1908 the agent at Rocklin received $100 per month and then in 1917 he received $110 per month. The telegraphers at the Rocklin depot in 1908 $80.50 per month; in 1917 there were no telegraphers at Rocklin; they moved to Roseville where they were paid $115 per month. This writer�s first job for the railroad was at Orland depot; monthly salary was $60 per month; you worked 12 hours per day and seven days a week; never heard of time and a half, Sundays off and vacation in those days. Southern Pacific quotes that in 1906 at Rocklin they had some 300 employees and the monthly payroll was around $30,000; over half of the employees were in the roundhouse. The roundhouse had 26 stalls and they serviced some 1200 engines per month. The old, small turntable was taken up in July 1910 and shipped to Placerville. In the year 1912 the railroad reported that a total of 1955 carloads of granite and 37 carloads of other classifications were shipped out of Rocklin. Many have said that the years from 1900 to the time they moved to Roseville were the best years of the railroad business in Rocklin and along with the granite business, Rocklin never had it so good.



Rocklin had its share of disastrous fires VIZ: on November 5, 1869 - the Trott Hotel had a fire and a roomer, Mr. Henry Schmidt, lost his life in this fire. Today, the Trott Hotel is occupied by Bottomley Store on Front Street. Also on this same day, fire destroyed the Freeman home in Rocklin.

On June 27, 1870 the Van Trees Hotel was destroyed by fire. It was located across the street from the Catholic Church in Rocklin and next to the railroad tracks. There was a street crossing and a street that crossed the tracks and joined Taylor Road. Today one can still see the excavation for a basement at this location.

March 29, 1887, Rocklin Front Street had its first big fire which destroyed the Rocklin Hotel, Mullnix Saloon, Soute�s Candy Store, the O�Farrell Shop, Williams Saloon, Cook�s Livery Stable, Jodoin�s Barber Shop; the Isadore Levison�s General Store was saved. On August 1, 1887 the new Burchard Hotel was built on the location where the destroyed Rocklin Hotel had stood.

May 25, 1893, the second big fire to hit Front Street in Rocklin, destroyed some 25 establishments and a girl, Miss Alice Irish, lost her life in this fire. The buildings lost were: the Davis Hotel, Levison�s Store, Burchard Hotel, Wm. E. Cook�s dwelling, Clow�s Blacksmith Shop, Ertle�s Wagon Shop, DeWitt Porter�s Stable, DeWitt Porter�s Saloon, Mullnix Saloon, Clark�s Saloon, Dan Hart�s Saloon, Jodoin�s Barber Shop, Jodion�s residence, DiSano�s Boarding House, Bobbie�s Market, Lonnergon�s Candy Store, Mrs. Hay�s residence, Mrs. Smeder�s Boarding House, Dobbas & Lovejoy�s Butcher Shop, and some other minor buildings.

March 31, 1891, the railroad depot, owned by Mr. John Sweeney, was destroyed by fire. He was the railroad�s depot agent. This was quite an odd set-up, where the depot agent built and owns the depot and the railroad rents it from him and gives him the depot agent job.

September 7, 1906, the beautiful new Locomotive Fireman�s Hall on Front Street, next door to the Lonngergon home, was destroyed by fire; it was one of the first halls to have a spring dance floor.

December 1, 1906, the E.C. Fellows rooming house was destroyed by fire and a roomer, Mr. John Bargain, lost his life in the fire. The E.C. Fellows formerly conducted the store business in what is now the Bottomley Store.

June 1909, a big fire on Railroad Street in Rocklin destroyed the Dr. Ford�s General Store, Freeman�s Hardware Store, Freeman�s Undertaking Parlor, Mory�s Saloon, a rooming house, the large Crocker Building on the corner of Railroad Street and Rocklin Road and other small vacant store buildings; also the Smiley Parker�s home.

October 4, 1912, a fire did extensive damage to the buildings and quarry equipment at the Delano Quarry.

May 3, 1914, the last big fire to hit Front Street in Rocklin destroyed the Burchard Hotel,

Morgan�s Saloon, Mrs. Beasmore�s Candy Store, the Porter�s Saloon, a barber shop, the Porter�s Livery Stable, the large Porter�s Hall (upstairs over the stable), Hislop�s Funeral Parlor, the Clark Building which housed the Kannasto Moving Theatre, and a vacant building next to the two story granite building that is there today.

October 30, 1915, the beautiful John Kannasto home on South Grove Street was destroyed by fire; Mrs. Verner G. Kokkila is their daughter.

July 4, 1917, the August Bynny General Store on the corner of Rocklin Road and Taylor Street was destroyed by fire.

September 27, 1917, fires destroyed completely the two story Gus Halonen�s former home on Winding Way.

June 17, 1922, the last of the big fires of Rocklin was on Railroad Street and south of Rocklin Road, facing the railroad tracks. Complete losses were the Holmes Saloon, a restaurant, Kannasto�s Ice Cream Parlor, a barber shop, an old rooming house, and then the large two story Southern Hotel on the corner; jumping the alley it destroyed the large Blackwell and Hendrickson�s Livery Stable and their blacksmith shop, which was located at the corner of Rocklin Road and Taylor Road.

April 16, 1923, fire destroyed the old Fogarty home, it being one of the oldest houses in Rocklin. It was moved to Rocklin from Pine Grove by the Waddell family in 1866.

June 30, 1930, fire destroyed the original Pleasure Hall which measured 100 x 100 dance floor and was owned by Steve Subotich and Eugene Tuttle. Immediately they commenced rebuilding and completed the new Pleasure Hall on November 15, 1930.

November 1, 1930, fire destroyed the beautiful country home of John and Fannie Whitney which was located across the street from the present Rocklin Little League baseball park.

September 9, 1933, fire destroyed the August Boesse home and his dairy located across the tracks from the present Pleasure Hall; Mr. Boesse lost his life in the fire.

September 9, 1940, fire destroyed the former Hebuck�s Sauna Building on South Grove Street; for years the Hebuck�s conducted a �sauna� or Finnish steambath business. This building was a portion of the former Ertle-Hebuck home prior to 1905 when the Hebucks had it moved and constructed their new home in 1905.

Other fires in Rocklin were: The O.W. Pekuri Grocery Store on the corner of Rocklin Road and Railroad Avenue, the Rocklin Rochdale Store on Rocklin Road, the old Isadore Levison home and many small residences.



In the fraternal circles, Rocklin had a Masonic Lodge called Granite Lodge No. 222, which was instituted October 19, 1872 with Mr. John T. Kincade as the first Worshipful Master. Their meeting hall was constructed over the one story brick Isadore Levison�s store building on lower end of Railroad Street. The hall portion cost the Masons only $4600; today it would have cost ten times as much, maybe more.

On June 26, 1915, Granite Lodge of Masons conducted their last third degree, the candidate being Mr. Peter G. Jacobs, who was principal of the Rocklin School. On May 29, 1919 the lodge consolidated with the Roseville Masonic Lodge #432; wishing to have a lower number, Roseville Lodge exchanged their number 432 to 222.

Heber Chapter #181 of the Eastern Star was instituted in Rocklin and later moved to Roseville, where it is today.

Odd Fellows Lodge #337 was instituted in Rocklin in 1888 and it has been consolidated with Auburn Odd Fellows Lodge #7.

The Finnish Lodge #5 of the Kaleva was instituted in 1905; was an active organizations until World War One.



In the churches, there were the Catholic Church, as today; the Congregational Church and the Methodist Church, along with two Finnish churches.



Rocklin had a baseball team in 1894 and played their games on a diamond between High and North Grove Streets, in the first block. The players on this 1894 team were: Kelley, Deming, Clydesdale, Waters, Givens, Neely, Burchard, Bradley, Ertle, John Lee and Green. Outside of Mr. Green, all the others are from prominent, old time Rocklin families.

In 1898, Rocklin changed their diamond to a diamond laid out on the inside of the race track and it was used until 1911. The first game on this new diamond was played May 30, 1898; score was Lincoln 11 - Rocklin 14. Rocklin had Ertle as their pitcher and Kelley as their catcher. Rocklin teams from 1898 thru 1905 played independent games. Those years Rocklin had a player by the name of Menefee who they say was as good as professional players were; he sure could hit a long ball and field his position.

In 1907 to be formed in Placer County was six teams; Auburn, Newcastle, Loomis, Rocklin, Roseville and Lincoln; which was called the Placer County League. On the Rocklin team were players: Tom Newton, Porky Flynn, Jimmy Lee, John J. Cox, Dutch

Congdon, Jake Pfosi, Chas. Halonen, Lee Tudsbury, Eddie Mason, Mike Elred, Terry

McCaffery, Wiley Gazelle, Chub Crates, Buck Reeves, Tiny Poorman, Roscoe Shuler, Cy Crosby, Johnny Freeman, Newbert, Reichert, Fisher, Kelley, Lewis and Cunningham.

From 1908 to 1916 Rocklin had a local team during which period saw many home town players performing, namely: Chalres, Gust Walter and Albert Halonen, Nick and Del Alexson, Sulo-Henry and Uno Hebuck; Peter Johnson, Toivo Kokkila, Louis Aho, Lawrence and John Lonnergon, George Nelson, Howard Fox, Charles Clough, John Freeman, Cy Crosby, Roscie Shuler, Lee Tudsbury, Jake Pendleton, Fenn Laird, Mac Winton, Irvin Elliott, Ed Lehtola, Chas. Turner, Peter Jacobs.

In 1913, after playing the 1912 season on the Loomis diamond, the Rocklin team leased from the railroad company the vacant land behind the old roundhouse and laid out a ball diamond. Games were played off and on on this diamond until a new one was laid out in back of the Pleasure Hall in 1927.

In 1922, this writer organized and managed a Rocklin team playing several games, but the outstanding performance was when Rocklin defeated the strong Roseville Tiger Team at Roseville in May 1922; score 2 to 1 - yes Roseville took it on the �chin� that day.

In 1927, this writer, with the financial help of Mr. Subotich and Mr. Tuttle, organized a Rocklin team and entered it in the Placer Nevada Baseball League. The club was called the Rocklin Owls. It was in the league 1927-1928 and 1929, finishing second every year. The players: Arvo and Waino Minkkinen, Bob Palo, Alex and Del Alexson, Sulo and Uno Hebuck, Bill and Alex Haggman, Emil Suhonen, Rueben and Gideon Ruhkala, Lory Hendrickson, Albert Johnson, Dave Roderick, Uno Liikola, Ed Lehtola, Irvin Elliott, Hal Brainerd, Vince Del Torchio, Roy Falltrick, Pete Moon.

In 1933 Rocklin had a home town club and played their games in a field adjacent to Ira Allen�s home; in later years, City of Rocklin laid out a playing field in the Rocklin City

Park and a club of Rocklin players played several seasons.

Since 1968 local baseball in this area seems to have died down and for the future, no one can tell when it will come back.



Prior to the big granite workers strike for higher pay in 1915, the granite business in Rocklin was a very successful business. As mentioned before, the S.P. Co. quoted that in 1912 there were 1955 carloads of granite shipped out of Rocklin, indicating it was a good business. After the railroad moved in 1908, the granite business kept the town in prosperity but that strike of 1915 spelled the doom over Rocklin. The strike was never settled; workers held on as long as they could then they were forced to leave Rocklin to other locations for employment, leaving their homes for sale at what prices they could possibly get for them. Some homes sold as low as $800. A lot of the quarry owners lost

and many closed down their plants, so today there is only one quarry operating and that is the Ruhkala Brothers. One can say that the 1915 strike killed the granite business in Rocklin, and after World War One the town became known as a �bedroom town� for people who worked in Roseville and elsewhere.

Rocklin had two big quarries, the Delano and the California Granite Co. These quarries had modern machinery and tools and were able to bid on big jobs such as buildings, dry docks, etc. They employed the bulk of the granite workers. In the cities they would use granite curbing for their sidewalks until the day came when concrete curbing was a lot cheaper and quicker installation. For years prior to the big strike of 1915, many small quarries went into operation for producing granite curbing. Some were partnership affairs who performed all work; others were one owner firms with 3 or 5 men hired at union scale of pay. Others were family affairs where father and son performed the work.

Cities used a lot of paving blocks on their streets as a solid base and Rocklin produced a lot of them. Also the railroad was a good customer for granite rip-rap or the waste rock that they used to bulkhead their track beds, especially during heavy rains and floods.

The operation of a small quarry producing curbing, the good old horse became an important factor. Those quarries that did not have steam hoisting power engines, the hoisting of stones was done with horse power. a �whim� was a wooden affair built with strong timbers and having a round wooden drum to which the cable would wind around when hoisting stones by the use of an extended wooden arm or boom to which a horse was used to go forward in a circle about 40 feet in diameter. When hoisting was to be stopped a command to the horse to stop and hold. When lowering, it was performed by a foot brake. On the lighter stones from the cutters shed a horse would hoist the stones by a straight-a-way pull and would back up when lowering. Most quarries had two derricks; a pit derrick was the strong one on account of it had to hoist the heavy stones from the pit to the bank. On the bank the stones were sliced to curbing size and then the shed derrick would place them in the shed where the cutters could perform the finished product. In the pits, holes about two inches were drilled, some 5 to 10 feet, then blasted apart by use of black powder, based on how the seams in the granite run. A carload brought about $450 and a small quarry could produce about 2 or 3 carloads a month of granite curbing.



In former days, Rocklin had two school buildings, located along Pacific Street; the smaller building had two classrooms containing the first and second grades, the larger building had four classrooms containing the upper grades. It used to be nine grades but later around 1910 it was reduced to eight grades. A youngster of six generally spent two years in the first grade, the �B�, then to the �A� first grade. The school buildings had no electric lights, no modern plumbing, no air conditioning, no modern heating. There were many days when it was dark and raining that the students suffered from insufficient lighting. In the school yard, which was divided; one side for the boys and the other for the girls, there was the outdoor restrooms, one building for the girls in their yard and one for the boys in their yard. For heating, it was by cast iron heating stoves burning large chunks of oak wood; the stove generally on one side of the classroom. There was a large woodshed located in the boys side of the school yard and us kids used to help the janitor in carrying the wood to the classrooms. We did not have any of those fancy cooled water drinking fountains; all we had was a large oak barrel with a spigot attached and many tin cups where the student could draw their own water for drinking.

In the school yard, the popular games for the boys were shooting marbles and a game called �tag-out;� a little baseball was played on the street. The girls popular games were jumping the rope and hop-scotching. No school busses those days; everyone walked to school. The streets in Rocklin those days were dirt and there was no cement sidewalks. When it rained those sidewalks and streets became a sea of mud. Almost everyone took their lunch to school. The school took up at 9 A.M. and was in session until 12. However, there was a 20 minute recess period. In the afternoon, school was from 1 P.M. to 4 P.M.; also with a 20 minute recess period.

The schools did not furnish the stationery and pencils in those days; also the books. The parents had to purchase all these from local stores. Graduating from one class to the other was by merit as determined by the teacher, but in the high grades it was by written final examination as prescribed by the County Superintendent�s office.

Oh yes, there was a Truant Officer. It was his job to check on the absent students with the parents and if found to be A.W.O.L. then he would proceed to locate them and return them to school principal for proper discipline.

In February 25, 1870 issue of the Placer Herald of Auburn, it quotes the names of the �honor� students of the Rocklin School and herewith wish to quote their names: Emma Harris, Ida May, Addie Crosby, Frank Crosby, Ernie Smith, Isabelle and Laura Smith, Albert and John Kincaide, Henry Rogers, Sallie and Ellen Ryan, Tom and Martha Carlton, Charles, Jacqueline and Louise Butterfield, Washington and Tillie Madden, Ida Buzzels, Mary Freeman, Elizabeth Royals, Charles Connor, John Trott, John and Fred Jones, Tom Hickey, Jim West.

Yes, today with all the modern conveniences, the air conditioning, free transportation, school lunches, all free text books, pencils and stationery, band instruction, school ground playing equipment, and other concessions, the present school students just don�t realize how fortunate they are to be going to school today than it was in the olden days.



At Rocklin race track, where horse racing and baseball games were held, large crowds would attend these functions, arriving there in horse and buggies. The last horse races were on May 3, 1914. The track was a half-mile course, oblong. Inside of the tracks across from the grandstand was the baseball diamond. The grandstand was a two story affair; the top portion had the stands where the spectators got a good view of the racing on the track. The lower portion was divided - a beer bar on one side and a restaurant, ice

cream and soda on the other side. The man who held the bets had a small cubbiehole for his office. In front was a small starters or judges stand. The horse barns were in the back a little to the north of the grandstand. There was only one entrance where everybody paid and it also served as the only exit. There was a long, high wooden fence surrounding the west side of the track. On the inside of the fence they had a little overhead roof protection from the sun, where the people who came by horse and buggies could park them into stalls provided with water and feed available. At the conclusion of the races when everyone started to make their departure, it used to be quite a traffic jam of horse and buggies and people on foot trying to leave the park through that only one exit. On race days, it was generally arranged to have a baseball game in the morning and the races in the afternoon, so as to make it an all day affair for the spectators. The Rocklin Echo Band was always engaged to furnish lively march music between innings of the ball games and between races.

Half mile race tracks were located at Rocklin, at Auburn, at Grass Valley, at Nevada City and at Placerville. The one mile track was at the Sacramento State Fair Grounds. Like auto racing today, in those days it was the sport of making a winner of your own horse, so when races were held in any of the above towns, if you had a race horse you would try to enter your horse. In Rocklin were many horse racing owners such as: Martin Tuttle had his �Ramona,� Alex Levison had his �Jewell,� Ed Pfosi had his �Frank Bates,� B.N. Scribner had three horses - �Stamrock�, �Stam Bee� and �Lady S,� John McQuigg had �Nan Patterson,� Richard T. Cook had �Etta Logan,� Wm. J. Doyle of Roseville had

his �Prince,� Chas. Leena of Auburn had his �Mickey-Free,� Henry Hebuck, Sr. had �Moko-Boy,� and there were many others.

In later years, the motorcycle arrived on the scene and after the horse racing was over, the race would be motorcycle race. Leonard Layton had his twin Indian motorcycle and George Nelson had a single cylinder �Thor�; they would race each other.

Sometimes there would be a jockey race after the harness races; also sometimes there would be bronco-busting to entertain the crowd.

It is too bad that Rocklin race track was closed out of existence. Today with auto races, drag races, etc., and if a one mile blacktop track could have been constructed on the outside rim of the old half-mile dirt track, maybe Rocklin could have become the �Sports Racing City of California.�



February 22, 1856 at Folsom. The Sacramento Valley Railroad Co. was the first railroad to be built in California. It was built by Mr. Theodore Judah from Sacramento to Folsom, a distance of 22 miles and was completed on this date. The owners planned it to extend over the mountains to the east but when they got to Folsom, their finances ran out. One of their first timetables shows two trains operating both directions: at 7:30 A.M. a train would leave from Folsom to Sacramento and the other train would leave

Sacramento for Folsom. Then in the afternoon at 5 P.M. the trains would leave both locations returning to their �home� base. The depot at Folsom today is on the same location as the original depot (looking at an old picture), but in that open space of ground just south of the depot was many buildings that housed the shops of the new railroad. At that time the new railroad did a big business as there were 21 stage lines meeting the trains at Folsom and those stages went every direction. The railroad slowly started extending its line towards Placerville but when they reached Shingle Springs in June 1865, their finances ran out. The Central Pacific before 1870 had acquired the whole Sacramento Valley Railroad and took over the job of extending it to Placerville. On March 29, 1888 was when trains started operating to Placerville.

In 1857 people up at Marysville were anxious to have railroad service so they incorporated the California Central Railroad on April 21, 1857 to complete the line from Folsom to Marysville. Work commenced at Folsom and the big job was the construction of a bridge over the American River. A steel truss bridge supported on two high granite foundation piers was made to cross the river. Today, the present Rainbow Bridge, which carries the highway into Folsom, uses these two piers to support their bridge. On the Folsom side of the highway bridge if one will look up on the hillside they can still see a granite abutment that was used by the railroad. After crossing the river, the railroad had a station called Ashland. Today there still remains a wooden freight warehouse of the railroad just behind the present Chevrolet dealers new and used car lot. From Ashland the railroad proceeded on a grade up to that big cut that is an extension of Orangevale Avenue. Prior to the extension of Greenback Lane, the old highway traffic was routed through this cut. After the railroad passed through this cut, it turned on a curve to the right and followed that little stream and practically on a NW direction, the railroad came into what is Roseville on the present Folsom Road. From the map, this railroad crossed what is Oak Avenue about 100 yards east of Hazel Avenue and crossed Hazel Avenue about 100 yards north of Oak Avenue and on a line to where Cirby Way joins the Old Auburn Road, thence along Cirby Way until it turns to the left. From there it ran on a line passing just north of the Roseville Hospital site, through the Roseville Square shopping center and then to Folsom Road. In Roseville at Vernon Street and Folsom Road, the line went straight through the present railroad depot yard and under the present Sierra Blvd. overpass. From there to the north it is on the present Southern Pacific railroad.

Continuing on the Sacramento Valley Railroad, people up in Auburn wanted a railroad to connect up with the Sacramento Valley Railroad at Folsom. It was to start from the Ashland depot (where the Chevrolet car lot is) and proceed up towards Auburn, following the north banks or north side of the American River. Grading was done for several miles when it was abandoned because word reached Auburn that the new Central Pacific was to start constructing a railroad over the mountains through Auburn. Years before the Folsom Dam, the main road from Folsom to Allens and thence into Roseville over Rocky Ridge road was known as Placer County Road #89 and then to Road #10. At the junction of #89 and #10, road number #10 followed the railroad land fill or grade of this proposed railroad to Auburn, for a short distance then turned to the left for about a quarter of a mile, turned right where it joined the present Folsom to Auburn Road, just a few yards south of that large trailer court on the left. That junction of #89 to #10 was stated above today is buried in the waters of Folsom Lake just where Beals Bar Park is today.

Continuing the railroad story, the Central Pacific was incorporated on June 28, 1861 to build the western portion of the proposed railroad from Missouri River to the Pacific Coast. They engaged Mr. Judah to survey the railroad from Sacramento to and over the Sierra Nevada Mountains and east. In the fall of 1860, Mr. Judah spent a lot of time with Mr. D.W. Strong of Dutch Flat, who conducted a drug store business there and they together, in the little drug store at Dutch Flat, drew up the profile maps of the proposed railroad over the mountains. Congress passed the Pacific Railroad Bill in June 1862, granting the railroad a 400 foot right of way, also a land grant of 20 miles on each side of the 400 foot right of way. Work started at Sacramento on the Central Pacific Railroad on October 26, 1863. The railroad reached Roseville on April 26, 1864, crossing the California Central tracks in the present depot wye. The railroads changed the name from Griders to Junction. In 1868 the Central Pacific acquired this California Central and the railroad from Folsom to Roseville was abandoned and the rails taken up. The California Central had built its railroad as far as Ostrom when they gave up and the Central Pacific acquired it and completed the line into Marysville on June 1, 1869.

In the meantime, the Central Pacific was on the move and building their railroad eastward from Roseville. On November 30, 1864 it reached Newcastle; then on May 13, 1865 it reached Auburn; it reached Colfax in September 1865; Dutch Flat in July 1866; Cisco in October 1866; Summit in November 1867; Truckee on April 3, 1868. Reno was reached June 19, 1868 and in May 10, 1869 it reached Promontory Point in Utah for a union with the Union Pacific Railroad that was building west from the Missouri River.

Building that cut out on the sides of Cape Horn, five miles east of Colfax, is just amazing and unbelievable considering what construction equipment they had to do the job with.